History majors must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of History classes (10 3-credit courses)
- 18 of these credit hours must be completed on the IU Bloomington campus
- 18 credit hours must be at the 300–400 level.
Students who enter I.U. Bloomington in the summer of 2016 and later will distribute these credits as follows:
- At least 1 course in pre-1750 history
- At least 1 course in post-1750 US or European history
- At least 1 course in post-1750 non-US/European or world history (9 credits).
- H270, preferably when they first declare the major; it is a prerequisite for J400 (3 credits).
- J400 as a prerequisite for J425 (3 credits).
- J425 (3 credits), an independent research project.
Students are still encouraged to take a J300 seminar, which will fulfil the Intensive Writing requirement required by the College of Arts + Sciences.